Thursday, December 15, 2011

Lessons from "Half the Sky"

Finished "Half the Sky" in three days! It has changed me in a lot of ways...

1. With all the wonderful stories of women and girls overcoming the hardest odds, I am inspired by their amazing courageous spirits and I myself, will not give up without a fight.

2. Some initiatives and projects, even with very good intentions and success elsewhere, will not be effective due to local culture. So, I suggest we study the African village first before we think of some lofty idea about teaching them about women's rights.

3. That even young schoolgirls can make a huge difference in the world. Encourage them to think of ideas and support them as they implement them to make them successful. Let them create clubs, fundraisers, campaigns...

4. That the United Nations, other multilateral organizations, and national government aid agencies must evaluate their strategies because some of them are proving ineffective, but a waste of money and effort.

I learned so many other things too but these are the major points I got out of the book. Thanks to Nicholas D. Kristof and his wife, Sheryl WuDunn for writing this awe-inspiring, very educating book!!! I highly recommend that you read it also....

No comments:

Post a Comment